17
Mon, Aug
5 New Articles

Micron Commits $250 Million to Trump Accounts, Expanding Financial Support for American Children

President Donald Trump speaks during the Trump Accounts summit at the Andrew W. Mellon Auditorium in Washington on Jan. 28, 2026. (Madalina Kilroy/The Epoch Times)

ECONOMIC WARFARE
Typography
  • Smaller Small Medium Big Bigger
  • Default Helvetica Segoe Georgia Times

Semiconductor Giant Launches Major Investment Initiative as Trump Accounts Open Nationwide, Offering Long-Term Savings Opportunities for Millions of U.S. Families

Micron Technology announced on July 1 that it will commit $250 million to support Trump Accounts, reinforcing a nationwide initiative aimed at helping American children build long-term financial security.

As part of the commitment, Micron will match employee contributions of up to $1,000 per child under the age of 18. The company will also provide a one-time $250 seed deposit for eligible children in states where it operates, including California, New York, Texas, and Virginia.

The initiative is expected to benefit up to one million children.

“We appreciate President Trump and Treasury Secretary Bessent for establishing these accounts, which give Micron another meaningful way to support children and families as they plan for the future,” Micron CEO Sanjay Mehrotra said in a statement.

Micron's announcement comes amid a remarkable year for the company. During what market observers have dubbed the “RAMpocalypse,” the chipmaker's shares have surged by more than 200 percent, pushing its market capitalization above $1 trillion for the first time in May. The rally has been driven by soaring demand for artificial intelligence-related memory and data storage products.

The company's latest blockbuster earnings report also eased concerns that the AI-driven technology boom may be losing momentum.

“There was no change in fundamentals—if anything, Micron made us feel even better about things,” Paul Meeks, head of technology research at Freedom Capital Markets, said in an emailed note to The Epoch Times.

At the same time, the global economy continues to face a shortage of memory chips as data centers require increasing volumes of semiconductors, including analog, foundational, logic, and memory chips.

Despite its strong performance this year, Micron shares fell nearly 10 percent during the midweek trading session.

'Real Financial Security' for Future Generations

In a Truth Social post published on July 1, President Donald Trump praised Micron's commitment, saying the investment would “make many children extremely happy some day in the not-too-distant future.”

“This is the biggest corporate investment of its kind, and will help jumpstart the American Dream for these fabulous children as we celebrate America’s 250th anniversary,” Trump wrote. “This massive investment will help millions of American children and families get a strong start in life, and give them real Financial Security.”

The announcement comes just before Trump Accounts, also known as 530A Accounts, officially open for contributions on the Fourth of July.

Created under last year's One Big Beautiful Bill Act, Trump Accounts are tax-deferred investment accounts designed to encourage long-term savings for children.

Eligible U.S. children born between 2025 and 2028 will receive a $1,000 federal seed deposit, while any child with a Social Security number is eligible to hold an account. Families may contribute up to $5,000 in after-tax funds annually, and employers can add up to $2,500 in pretax contributions. Until beneficiaries reach the age of 18, the funds must remain invested in low-fee U.S. stock index funds.

A growing number of American companies and philanthropists have also pledged support for the program.

Technology billionaire Michael Dell and his wife, Susan Dell, have committed $6.25 billion to provide a $250 deposit for children born between 2016 and 2024 who are not eligible for the federal $1,000 seed deposit. The benefit applies to children living in ZIP codes with a median household income of $150,000 or less.

“It is encouraging to see our nation’s leading companies, including Micron, supporting this effort by stepping up to help children in the communities and offering matching contributions for their employees,” Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent said in a statement.

The administration is also expanding the initiative by making the savings and investment accounts available to children in foster care.

According to estimates from the Council of Economic Advisers, children born in 2026 could accumulate more than $300,000 by the age of 18 if maximum annual contributions are made. Even without additional contributions, the accounts could still grow to nearly $6,000.

The Treasury Department launched the Trump Accounts application on app stores nationwide in May, paving the way for the program's nationwide rollout.